Please see Arches Forum post dated April 19, 2022 (click here) for the latest update on Arches Collector.
What is Arches Collector?
Arches Collector is the mobile data collection companion app for the Arches data management platform. Arches Collector is a powerful app for data collection efforts, such as field surveys, and can be used to input or edit data in the field and sync the data with your existing Arches instance. ** An existing Arches instance (v6 or higher) is a pre-requisite for using Arches Collector **
- Runs on iOS or Android (Android 11 or older) devices
- Offers full integration with an existing Arches v6 instance
- Supports data collection and temporary storage on devices when a network connection is not available
- Provides for synchronization of data (after offline activity) with your Arches instance
- Supports user permissions as defined in your Arches instance. This will allow your Arches administrator to define which users are permitted to add or update data using the Arches Collector
- Data collection and configuration within the Arches Collector app is managed through your Arches instance using the Arches Collector Manager. You will be able to define the start and end dates, geographic areas, data fields, and users for multiple data collection activities
- Collect information in the field by pinpointing map locations, capturing or uploading photos, selecting from pre-populated controlled lists or inputting text
- Data collected using Arches Collector can be flagged as “provisional data” to be reviewed before being published in an Arches instance, providing a controlled environment for volunteer and crowdsourcing activities
Requirements for using Arches Collector v0.3.0
- An existing Arches v6 instance is required to deploy Arches Collector
- Arches Collector is compatible with iOS and Android (Android 11 or older) devices
- To begin data collection activities in the mobile app, a data collection project must first be created and activated in Arches Collector Manager. Arches Collector Manager is the system administrative management tool in Arches to initiate a data collection “Project,” set parameters for the “Project” and activate the “Project” for users to begin data collection activities.
Offline: If a connection is not available (Wi-Fi or network), data entered in the app is temporarily stored on the device until a connection is available and data is synched to the Arches server.
Online: If a connection is available (Wi-Fi or network), data entered in the app can be synced at any time and as often as needed. Data is not synced automatically to the Arches server.
Arches Collector is currently available on iOS and Android (Android 11 or older).
To install the iOS app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/arches-collector/id1377842164
To install the Android app for Android 11 or older devices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documentation is currently available and will be updated frequently during the initial release of Arches Collector. You can find documentation on Arches Collector Manager and Arches Collector on Arches Read the Docs.
If you have any questions about Arches Collector that are not answered in these documentation guides, please post them on the Arches Community Forum.
Preview Arches Collector
Watch a video recording demonstrating a brief overview of the Arches Collector (v0.2.1) mobile app (August 15, 2019)
If you have installed Arches Collector v0.3.0 and want to test the app, but don’t have a v6 Arches instance, contact us at email@example.com for access to a mobile data collection project using the Arches Demo Site.
Is Arches Collector open-source software?
Yes. Arches Collector is an open-source mobile app released under the same license as the Arches Platform (AGPL3).
Does Arches Collector work offline in the field, if a Wi-Fi or network connection is unavailable?
Yes. Data entered or edited on the app is stored on the device and can be synced when a connection is available. Arches Collector is purpose built for professionals who work in the field collecting data in remote places without a network connection.
Can Arches Collector be used as a stand-alone mobile app?
No. Arches Collector is a companion app for your existing Arches instance and is not deployable without first creating and activating a Project in Arches Collector Manager.
Is there a limit to the number of mobile app users?
No. There is no limit to the number of users. Arches Collector is capable of handling large numbers of users for crowdsourcing or large group purposes.
Can images be uploaded to Arches Collector?
Yes. The app has capabilities to both point and shoot directly from the app and upload an image from the device.
Is Arches Collector compatible with Arches v5?
Arches Collector v0.3.0 is compatible and fully integrated with Arches v6 (released October 2021).
Last updated: April 2022